Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Cindy

Last week, Keith and I (and a team of new friends) visited our Compassion child in Honduras for the first time. Her name is Cindy.

At the project, we learned about Cindy's day to day life and her dreams. And after an invitation to her home, we  were able to experience some of her life.

First, she lives up a very, very, very steep, rocky hill. Up and down that hill she travels by foot, several times a day. I tried to look indifferent to the climb and not gasp from a lack of oxygen, so I just took a few breaks "to look at the scenery."

Scenery- hmm...that would consist of homes packed next to each other with curious Hondurans watching our every move,  the first dog I've every seen that I could count all of his rib bones, "free-road" chickens and an occasional blooming bougainvilla.

After visiting with Cindy's mother and two sisters on their front porch, we were invited into their home. I saw the bedroom where the 3 little girls sleep - void of any decorations or toys - but with nice beds. In the backyard, I saw dinner (beans) cooking over a wood-burning concrete pit. I saw another concrete pit that held their fresh water for the day. And I saw joy - joy on the mother's face as she showed off her immaculate home, joy as Cindy showed us their little chicks. Joy as they shared their life with a few gringos.

I did not want to give my heart away to another child. I have two "spiritual children" in Guatemala who I adore. And I have an Iranian "daughter" hiding in an underground church in her country who I will never get to see again in this life, but who I pray for often. But as God would have it, Cindy captured my heart. Once again, love has multiplied. Once again I've taken notice that the Giver of every good and perfect gift (James 1:17) has given me much more than my meager offering to Him.

Today I read, "From heaven the LORD looks down and sees all mankind; from his dwelling place he watches all who live on earth-he who forms the hearts of all, who considers everything they do" (Psalm 33:13-15).

At any one moment in time, God sees all people, no matter how many miles separate loved ones on this earth, and He observes our choices. There is always, always a choice, a call to respond to the things He reveals. Even if I were to ignore all the things He showed me in Honduras, that would be a response. But ... how could I not respond with a heart open to transformation?  Cindy's sweet face has been planted in my heart. I saw His children. I saw His love for the nations. I saw...

3 comments:

Steve Kight said...

Cindy life will be forever changed from your journey, I enjoy that your words are those of action, of footsteps which leave behind hope and understanding in a world so different from that which we grew up in. This world is so small and His fingerprints are everywhere.

karen said...

Your post made me smile! Jesus loves the little children; ALL the children in the world!

karen said...

Your post made me smile! Jesus loves the little children; ALL the children in the world!