Thursday, September 3, 2015

I care

Yes, I am pro-life. For me, that title means I believe that every life deserves dignity, respect and investment. Why? Because each man, woman and child was created in God's image by Him.

I care about the woman who is trying to raise 4 kids on her own because the fathers of her kids refuse to walk in their responsibility. I care that she can only find a job that pays minimum wage yet the cost of childcare would take every penny of her paycheck.

I care about the woman who escaped the poverty of her homeland and came to this country to try to provide for her 3 little ones. I care that she is so frightened of being sent back that she endures abuse without seeking help.

I care about the young college student from another country who went to her first party to make friends, woke up without any clothes on and is now pregnant. I care that she is scared to tell her parents. I care about the young man who has now fathered a child and will never know it.

I care about the 10th grade girl, active in her school, now pregnant, whose biggest worry is that she is going to disappoint her parents. Why? "Because they think I'm perfect."

I care about the girl whose mom is never around and doesn't seem to care. I care that she never knew her dad. I care that she is starved for attention - any attention.

I care for the woman who had an abortion and now thinks God will never love her and never forgive her.

I care about the woman who performed abortions and is now broken because of what she has done.

I care about the woman who wants to have nothing to do with Jesus because people called by His name have ridiculed her, looked down on her and hurt her. I care for the church who has failed her.

I've looked into the eyes of every one of these young women. I've listened to their stories of pain. Hurt. Confused. Some didn't know how they could possibly do life with a child. Some didn't know how they were going to live with themselves if they chose the "easier way out". They all had dreams and their dreams seemed to be shattered and unattainable.

I care about the woman in crisis. I care about the pain caused by sin. I care about the broken women living in a broken world. I care about women who have believed lies. And I also care about the babies who don't have a voice and will never get the chance to giggle, love and be loved on this earth. I wish I could have held them. I wish I could have shown them that there is another way - a better way. I wish …

This I know. I don't want to be defined for what I am against. I want to be defined as a woman who cares about life - all life. I want to be defined as a warrior on the front lines fighting for souls - all souls. I want to be defined as a woman who shows others the truth of God's love and grace.

I want to be defined as a woman who cares!

Note: Please take note of the phrase "I want to be." I have failed to listen to the cries of the oppressed many times. I have failed to show compassion. But I still strive to be what my heart desires and what Christ desires.



No comments: