Thursday, August 22, 2013

A Close Look in the Mirror Reveals ...


Another one of those"big" birthdays is fast approaching.

I'm happy about it ... really! Well, maybe for the most part. I love acquiring the "wisdom" that only seems to come with experience and age. Things like that. But we all know that there are some things that I don't like or appreciate about growing older.

 Last Saturday morning, I took a very, very close look in the mirror. Results: a few revelations ... very few... passed my inspection with a smile. But those lines in my face (some people call them wrinkles) did not make me happy. I tried lifting my eyelids and pulling back the skin on my face. I tried to restore the face of my youth. But when I let go, the face resumed its original look.

I did the only thing I knew to do. I slathered on moisterizer and vowed not to take a close look in the mirror for another 10 years.

Fast forward one hour. I joined my accountability group for our weekly meeting at the local bagel shop. We've been meeting for twelve years so this group knows the inner good, bad and ugly (and still profess to love me!). We hold one another accountable for the choices that we make and for our commitment to Christ. We call ourselves the Bagel Babes because of where we meet and because in our eyes - we are still babes!

Nell shares first. Of course, she would open by saying, "Sometimes we should spend time with God in the same way that a woman looks at herself in the mirror."

Zing! Double Zing!

Based upon my very recent mirror experience, that would mean close examination.

That would mean rejoicing in the Christ like character that is evident.

That would mean recognizing and acknowledging that all is not good in my character/behavior.

That would mean pondering where improvement is needed.

That would mean seeing things that I previously overlooked or ignored.

That would mean ... fill in the blank. You've got the gist of it.

Yep, gotta love those Bagel Babes. Speaking truth in love!



4 comments:

Ragna Rogero aka Mom said...

In my eyes you are unlined and beautiful. I know that God sees you this way also. I don't believe that lines, warts or any other outward signs of age are a measure of the beauty of your soul.

Ragna Rogero aka Mom said...

In my eyes you are unlined and beautiful. I know that God sees you this way also. I don't believe that lines, warts or any other outward signs of age are a measure of the beauty of your soul.

Gladys said...

Hey, I posted to your facebook page, sorry I didn't write it here. I would repeat it, but because I'm older than you, I can't remember what I said! lol

Joyce said...

This week I was thinking how I miss you. Now I know it is for your wisdom :) As I read this I had to smile, because I have "posed" in front of the mirror in similar fashion lately.